Friday, August 21, 2009

Oregon Coast
















I know that it has been a week since my last post, but I wanted to wait until we had completed our journey up the Oregon coast and report on all of it at one time. Last Monday we drove from Red Bluff, CA through the mountains to Eureka, CA. It was the most harrowing 140 miles I have ever driven in the motorhome. The narrow road was just one twisting, turning switchback after another. It was very tedious and the 140 mile trip took four hours. Oh well, we made it and the trip up the coast made it worth every switchback. The Oregon coast is unlike anything we have ever seen. The deep blue water, the mountains that go right down to the seashore, the jagged, rocky coastline with its large rocks and boulders along the edge taking the constant pounding of the cold Pacific, the fog that gives everything a very eerie, surreal feel, to the magnificent late August sun that warmed everything all afternoon today. It has been wonderful. The Outdoor Resort here in Newport is probably the nicest resort in which we have ever stayed. Our site looks directly out onto the Pacific with the Yaquina Lighthouse off to the left. I am looking at the lighthouse as I sit inside the motorhome and type this. Stunning is the only word I can think of to describe this view. This afternoon we drove up to Depoe Bay and watched the whales! Yes, we actually saw two or more that were no more than 200 yards off shore. The street was lined with whale watchers as this place is famous for the whales that just seem to call it home. Once again I have really struggled to choose only five pictures to add to this blog. I will post several more on Facebook over the weekend. The first one I captioned: "Toto, we are not in Destin anymore." And the last one is the view from our morothome here in Newport. We have really enjoyed this week and tomorrow we head inland to Portland for the weekend. Next week we are off to Yellowstone.

1 comment:

StaceyK said...

Wow... I just can't believe all the fantastic places and amazing scenery you've been seeing on this trip! Are all your RV trips like this? ;) Oregon looks so much more interesting than I expected. Can't wait to see what's next! Have a great weekend! Stace